Friday, April 11, 2008

Swordfish w/ Balsamic Brown Butter Sauce



I don't know many people who dislike delicious & elegant food-but I DO know lots of people who dislike making it. To some, the words "homemade" and "elegant dinner" combined in the same sentence sends waves of panic through their bodies. Even the thought of it puts unnecessary pressure on the cook to make involved and elaborate dishes which they think are sure to WOW! their guests.


But sometimes, less is more.



This swordfish dish is not only delicious with it's rich brown butter sauce, but it's also easy peasy. Follow the directions and you will surely have success-and happy guests.

Ingredients:
1 Stick Unsalted Butter
3 T. Balsamic Vinegar
1 t. Honey
1 T. Dijon Mustard
6 Swordfish Steaks (each about 3/4 inch thick, 6 oz)
Olive oil
2 T. Drained Capers
Chopped tomatoes (optional)

Method:
1. Simmer butter in heavy medium saucepan over medium heat until deep golden brown, swirling pan occasionally, about 6 minutes. Remove from heat.
2. Whisk in vinegar, honey and mustard. Season sauce with salt and pepper.
3. Brush fish with oil; sprinkle with salt and pepper.
4. Heat heavy large skillet over medium-high heat. Add 3 swordfish steaks. Sauté just until opaque in center, about 4 minutes per side. Transfer to plates; tent loosely with foil to keep warm. Repeat with remaining fish.
5. Whisk sauce over low heat to rewarm if necessary. Spoon sauce over fish. Sprinkle with capers and, if desired, tomatoes.

As seen on Bostonist.com Recipe from Epicurious.com.

5 comments:

Linda said...

This sounds fantastic and easy both! I love me some swordfish but never seem to be able to cook it other than just broiling it. I may have to give this recipe a go!

Mo and The Purries said...

I'm not a huge swordfish fan, but if I could afford tuna steaks I'll bet this recipe would work, eh?

Lisa said...

Linda-I think you should try it! And then let me know how you like it. Perhaps this can be a September dinner.

Mo-indeed, I think any fish (other than Salmon or maybe Bluefish) would be nice like this. Butter goes well with almost anything, and the balsamic would do well with Tuna. In fact, my all time favorite dish is tuna with a balsamic reduction-try it sometime. :)

Nadine said...

Sounds very good. I could save this as a special dinner treat. I've never tried swordfish, but I might follow Mo with tunasteaks. Thanks!

Anonymous said...

I was thinking tuna steaks too. Or halibut, since that what we have an abundance of up here!