Saturday, April 19, 2008
Thai food is a balancing act. It's the perfect combination of the five flavor elements: spicy sweet, sour, salty and bitter and typically uses the freshest ingredients available. They are often served with a side of Jasmine rice which, in my opinion, is genius because it ensures that you get all of that Thai goodness down to the very last drop.
This red curry dish is so easy you can make it for a weeknight meal but it's fancy enough to have it for a dinner party.
1 T. Butter
2 Tomatoes, Seeded & Chopped
2 Cloves Garlic, Minced
1 T. Ginger, Minced
1 C. Coconut Milk, Unsweetened
1 T. Thai Red Curry Paste
1/4 C. Cilantro
2 t. Salt
1 # Shrimp, Peeled & De-veined
Juice of 1/2 Lime
1. Melt butter in medium saute pan. Add tomatoes, then garlic and ginger. Saute for 2 minutes to allow garlic to cook a bit.
2. Add coconut milk and red curry paste, whisking to dissolve the paste.
3. Add cilantro, salt and lime juice.
4. Add shrimp & cook until pink.
5. Test seasoning, adding more salt, pepper and lime juice to your taste. Serve over rice and garnish with cilantro.