Tuesday, August 5, 2008

Roasted Chicken

There is one way, in my opinion, to make a house smelly homey: saute garlic in olive oil. The smell is intoxicating and as it permeates through each room friends and family are drawn to the kitchen to find out what treat they will soon be devouring. This recipe for roasted chicken is not only aromatic (it's got 10 cloves of garlic!) but also moist and delicious. It's easy enough for a new cook but sophisticated enough to serve to your friends at a dinner party with white wine.

Just be warned-you might end up with too many cooks in the kitchen...

Ingredients:
1 Onion, cut coarsely into quarters
10 Cloves of Garlic mashed with 1 t. Salt
1/2 C. White Wine
1/4 C. Olive Oil
2 t. White Vinegar
1 3# Chicken, cut in half

Salt & Pepper
1 Lemon

Method:
1. Cut your chicken down the backbone to create 2 equal halves. If you do not know how to do this or you do not want to, you can also buy 3 #'s of chicken parts. (It's just a little more costly.)
2. Mash your garlic with the salt to create a paste. You can use the flat part of a chef's knife or a spoon.
3. In a large glass container, combine the onion, 1/2 of the garlic paste, and all of the liquid. Add the chicken and marinate in the fridge for for 2-4 hours.
4. Preheat oven to 375. Remove chicken from marinade and season with salt and pepper and smear with remaining garlic paste. Place chicken in a roasting pan and put slices of lemon under it. If you'd like, you can also add the onions from the marinade.
5. Roast for 45 minutes to 1 hour or until a thermometer reads 165 and the juices run clear.

8 comments:

Crazy Working Mom said...

We had chicken for dinner tonight but it did not look (or taste I'm sure) nearly as good as this. I baked it in Italian dressing and served it over rice topped with Parmesan and mozzarella cheeses.

This looks absolutely fabulous!

Mo and The Purries said...

I just watched how to halve a chicken on Alton Brown's Good Eats the other night - I need to try that sometime.
I love a roasted chicken - but have to admit that lately I've just bought the pre-cooked ones at the store.

Carrie said...

That picture is making me drool all over my desk!

All I have for lunch today is Banquet fried chicken.. I wish I was eating at your house instead!

Sandee said...

What Asara said. I ♥ chicken and I really ♥ garlic. I can smell it now. Have a great day. :)

Linda said...

I made chicken earlier tonight, too, but just sauteed it in olive oil with some spices so I'm sure it was nowhere near as good as this sounds and looks!

Callie Ann said...

Hey Lisa, what is the recipe for those yummy looking potatoes in the back? Can I find the recipe somewhere... I am going with some friends for a get away it sure would be great to make that dinner for one evening..

Anonymous said...

We usually roast heads of garlic drizzled in olive oil along with our chicken breasts, and then eat the cloves right along with the chicken! This recipe would be right up our alley! :-)

Molly said...

Made this tonight for guests. It was delicious! I had trouble making a paste out of the uncooked garlic, next time I think I will put it through a garlic press or in the mini-food processor. Also, I used boneless, skinless breasts, and I think it would be better with skin.