Saturday, June 28, 2008

Easy Peasy Poke Cake

There are times when even I am too busy lazy to bake something from scratch. The recipe below was given to me years and years ago (about 10 I think) by friend and it quickly became a crowd favorite wherever I bring it. This is a recipe that any cook, at any level can be successful at...

1 Box of Yellow Cake Mix
1 Box of Strawberry Jello
1 box of Instant Vanilla Pudding
1 Pint of Blueberries
1 Pint of Strawberries


Method:
1. Prepare cake according to directions. Use a rectangular sheet pan to achieve the "flag" shape.

2. While the cake is baking, make the strawberry jello but don't put it in the fridge.

3. Once the cake has slightly cooled (about 10 minutes) use a fork to poke lots of holes in it. Pour the jello over the cake until it is all absorbed into it. Put it in the fridge until it is completely cold so that the jello can set.

4. Meanwhile, prepare the pudding (put in the fridge while you wait for the cake). Also wash and slice the strawberries, and wash the blueberries.

5. To assemble the cake, top it with the pudding and place the fruit on top so that it looks like a flag. Use the blueberries for the stars and the strawberries for the stripes.

6. Keep refrigerated until you are ready to serve-You can make this cake a day in advance but I wouldn't recommend any sooner than that.

I can't tell you how long it hold for, because there is never any left when I make it!

4 comments:

Crazy Working Mom said...

My mother in law makes this cake for the 4th of July every year. It is SOoooooooooooo yummy. :)

Sandee said...

What a great idea Mags. I'm ripping this recipe off. Yummy. :)

Mo and The Purries said...

Lee's mom makes poke cake every 4th of July, too!

Linda said...

Oh this just looks so yummy!

I bet this tastes real good by a beach in Rhode Island.