Wednesday, October 6, 2010

Apple Cider Muffins

After apple picking last weekend Brian and I have A LOT of apples. For a family of more than 2, the amount might not seem huge, but our fruit bowl was overflowing and I worried about eating them before they went bad. Though we did make a pie, I found myself wanting something breakfast-y. I immediately remembered our delicious apple cider donuts-which then turned into a muffin idea. After searching the web for a bit I found this. This is not my recipe-I only added apples. (I don't remember where I found this-but let it be known-I love the recipe!)

These muffins are ridiculously addictive. They are moist and apple-y and pretty much evoke New England fall. Though this recipe calls for a bit more ingredients than normal, I think you'll find them to be very easy to make. Oh-and your house will smell divine when they are baking.


Yield 18 muffins

Streusel:
2 T. Packed Dark Brown Sugar
4 t. Flour
.5 t. Cinnamon
1 T. Unsalted Butter, Cold-cut into cubes
2 T. Chopped Nuts-Optional (I always leave the nuts out-I like my baked goods female)

Muffins:
2 C. Flour
1 1/2 t. Baking Powder
1/2 t. Baking Soda
1/4 t. Salt
1 T. Cinnamon
1/2 t. Nutmeg
1 Egg (large)
1/3 C. Packed Dark Brown Sugar
1/2 C. Apple Butter
1/3 C. Maple Syrup
1/3 C. Apple Cider
1/3 C. Plain Low-Fat Yogurt
1/4 C. Oil
2 Apples, Peeled, Cored & Diced

Method:
1. Preheat oven to 400. Place paper cupcake liners in muffin cups. Spray with cooking spray. Set aside.

2. In a small bowl, prepare streusel. Mix all ingredients and use your fingers to cut in the butter. Mixture should resemble coarse crumbs. Set aside.

3. Prepare muffins: Combine all dry ingredients in one large bowl and whisk together. Set aside.

4. In a separate bowl, whisk egg, brown sugar, apple butter, syrup, cider, yogurt and oil until smooth. Add apples.

5. Make a well in the dry ingredients-add the wet ingredients and gently fold together until combined. Scoop batter into pans and sprinkle with streusel.

6. Bake 20-25 minutes. Cool in pan 5 minutes then remove and cool on a wire rack.

So far these muffins have remained moist and fresh for 5 days-we keep them on the counter in an airtight container.

1 comment:

Linda said...

How did you know I've been craving all things fall-like and apple these days? This recipe sounds wonderful though I'm wondering how they'd do with this big new king-size muffin pan that I just bought today and am antsy to try out. I guess I'd just have to keep an eye on them while they were baking, right?

Definitely going to have to try this - once I go buy some apple butter and cider that is!