Sunday, August 9, 2009
Ratatouille with Sausage
I modified this recipe to include sausage because it was fresh from the farm share & added wine because I felt it lacked something. Topping it with cheese was just the added "umph" this casserole needed. It's a hearty, comforting dish that even tastes better the next day.
This can easily be turned into a vegetarian dish simply by omitting the sausage...
1 Eggplant, peeled & cut into 1" strips
3 Small Zucchini, sliced
1/3 C. Flour
2-4 T. Olive Oil, divided
2 Yellow Onions, sliced
3 Cloves Garlic, Minced
8 Sweet Italian Sausages, uncooked
2 Green Peppers, Julienned
4 Tomatoes, Coarsely chopped
1/4 C. Water
1/2 C. Fresh Basil, chopped (or 8t. Dried)
2 t. Oregano
2 t. Thyme
1 t. Salt
1/4 t. Pepper
1 C. Mozzarella, shredded
1/2 C. White Wine
Method: Preheat oven to 350*, Grease a large rectangular pan (9x13)
1. Place eggplant, zucchini & flour in a large bowl. Toss to cover veggies.
2. Heat 1 T. oil in a large skillet. Brown veggies in batches & transfer to a greased baking dish.
3. Saute onions & garlic, add to dish.
4. Brown the sausage. Remove from pan and cut in slices (on a diagonal). Add sausage to baking dish.
5. Saute peppers. Add tomatoes, water, wine & seasoning. Cook on high for 2 minutes. Reduce to low, cover & simmer for 5 minutes.
6. Pour tomato sauce over veggies & sausage in the baking dish. Bake 20 minutes uncovered. Top with cheese & bake an additional 10 minutes or until the cheese is bubbly & brown.