You can pretty much always bet that at least one person you know will be making a pie, a baked apple or an apple crisp. While all of these things are yummilicous, here's an easy (and healthy-ish) alternative for you to try-apple muffins! Not only will your house smell heavenly when they are baking, you'll have 12 little snacks that can be eating for breakfast, lunch or dinner!
2T. Light brown sugar, packed
4 t. Whole Wheat flour
1/2 t. Ground Cinnamon
1 T. Unsalted butter, cubed
1 C. Whole Wheat flour
1 C. All Purpose flour
1 1/2 t. Baking powder
1/2 t. Baking soda
1/4 t. Salt
1 T. Cinnamon
1/2 t. Nutmeg
1/3 C. Light brown sugar, packed
1/2 C. Apple butter (Typically found in the jelly isle)
1/3 C. Maple syrup
1/3 C. Apple cider
1/3 C. Plain yogurt, lowfat
1/4 C. Vegetable Oil
Method: Preheat over to 400 degrees. Spray/Lightly grease 12 muffin cups.
1. Mix brown sugar, whole-wheat flour and cinnamon in a small bowl. Using your fingers, blend in butter with until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Set aside.
1. Whisk dry ingredients in a large bowl. Set aside
2. Whisk egg and brown sugar in a medium bowl until smooth. Add in apple butter, syrup, cider, yogurt and oil.
3. Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and stir with a rubber spatula until just combined. Do not overmix!
4. Fill the muffin pan with batter & sprinkle with the streusel.
5. Bake golden brown, 15 to 25 minutes. Let cool in the pan for 5 minutes. Loosen edges and turn muffins out onto a wire rack to cool slightly before serving.